andrew-buchanan-0lXQ_5lxEDA-unsplash

7 Mold Facts You Might Not Know

When it comes to mold, a lot of consumers are poorly informed. They know it can be harmful, and even deadly, and they might even know that moisture contributes to its formation, but what you might not know is just how impactful it can be — and how tough it is to actually get rid of.

#1 You’re probably allergic to mold.

Many people have a mold allergy, which is why you may sneeze, cough, or develop a rash when exposed to it. In fact, the majority of people have an allergy to mold, but even if you don’t mold is dangerous to everyone.

#2 You can’t kill mold with bleach.

So many “home remedies” tout that you can use bleach to kill mold, but this is actually entirely false. While bleach is able to kill mold on a given surface, the “roots” of the mold that have developed inside drywall, for example, will live on and continue coming back to the surface.

Meanwhile, mold will continue to spread underneath the surface and through the air via mold spores, which means your mold problem will only keep getting worse, potentially spreading from drywall to the insulation behind it or through the air to your furniture, flooring, and so on.

#3 Painting over mold won’t kill it.

Just as using bleach will only kill surface mold, using a “mold resistant” paint will not prevent or kill it. In fact, this is only a marketing ploy. In truth, painting over mold will only temporarily hide the problem while it grows bigger.

#4 Some molds can learn and remember.

Want to hear a very creepy fact? Scientists have very recently discovered a slime mold that has no brain, yet is able to learn and remember.

#5 You can grow mold on your skin.

Mold grows on porous surfaces, which is most often wood or paper. However, your skin is porous, too, and it also retains moisture. These things make it an ideal spot for mold to grow. That’s an alarming fact, but rest assured that mold growing on the skin is actually very uncommon.

#6 Mold is responsible for most sinus infections.

Did you know that the majority of sinus infections are misdiagnosed? It’s scary, but many sinus infections are actually caused by fungal infections connected to mold growth. After all, your sinuses provide a moist and dark cavity, which represents a prime environment for mold to grow.

#7 A dead mold spore isn’t harmless.

Killing mold with a “home remedy” or otherwise without using the right technique and chemicals can mean that dead mold spores will still be present in your home’s air. That’s bad news, because even dead mold spores can be as harmful as live ones when it comes to your health, particularly if you struggle with immunity problems or allergies.

Did you know any of these seven facts? If you’re interested in learning more about mold, be sure to explore our blog for more information about mold remediation in Troy, NY and the services we offer to keep your home healthy.

Tags: No tags